Immigration and Refugee Services – How Can You Help?
Catholic Charities Immigration and Refugee Services is dedicated to helping refugees and other vulnerable immigrants who have fled their countries to escape violence and persecution. This complex, comprehensive work often involves fragile survivors. Case managers, trainers, and job developers help them learn English, find work, and make a new home.
Our goal is to make this transition as smooth as possible. Our services strive to:
• Connect those who recently received asylum to programs and services
• Ensure pre-arrival arrangements for arriving refugees
• Conduct post-arrival case management and provide direct assistance
• Offer community and cultural orientation on topics such as Cultural Adjustment, Education, Financial Literacy, Health, Housing, Transportation, and U.S. Laws
• Enroll refugees into English as a Second Language (ESL) classes
• Support parents to enroll children in school
• Provide information and referrals to social services and benefits
• Prepare refugees for work and place refugees in employment positions
Refugees are admitted to the United States through an extensive vetting process. The U.S. government oversees the program through the Department of State’s Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration and the Office of Refugee Resettlement.
Many people are interested in supporting this important work. Here are some ways individuals or groups can help:
1. Monetary Donations
Your financial contribution directly supports our agency’s efforts to help these vulnerable families. Donations can be made either online or by mail.
• Make your secure online donation by visiting
• Mail your check (payable to Catholic Charities Immigration and Refugee Services) to:
4800 Union Deposit Rd.
Harrisburg, PA 17111
If you have specific questions about financial donations, call the Catholic Charities Administration Office at 717-657-4804 extension 284.
2. Donated Items
Below is a list of items that can be donated to support the program:
Twin Bed Frames
New or Like New Twin Mattresses
Pots and Pans
Cleaning Kit (Dish Soap, Bathroom Cleaner, Sponges/Paper Towels, Laundry Detergent, Trash Bags, Packed in a Large Trash Can)
Toiletry Kit (Pack of 4 Toilet Paper, Shampoo, Body Wash or Soap Bar, 7 Toothbrushes, 2 Tubes of Toothpaste, Pads, Shaving Cream, and Razor Packed in a Small Trash Can)
3. Donated Storage Space
We are also looking for a storage facility in the Harrisburg area that we could use for free or at very low cost to store furniture for families that have not arrived yet. Often we get very little notice of when a family will be coming. Also, with the number of arrivals increasing our storage space is currently very limited.
4. Volunteer Opportunities
Our Immigration and Refugee Services Program is always looking for individuals or groups looking to volunteer. Contact our office for more information.
For More Information, contact
Refugee Resettlement Program Manager
Catholic Charities Immigration & Refugee Services
939 E Park Dr. Suite 102
Harrisburg, PA 17111